Monday, August 22, 2011

FREE Online Storytime -- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

My poor Mother. I remember my first day of school, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten. I screamed, I cried, I held on to my mom for dear life. And now that I'm a mom myself, I'm sure it broke my mom's heart to leave me there in the state I was in.

But the fact remains, many kids have a hard time going back to school in the fall. The separation from the fun of summertime, and getting back into a routine takes a heavy toll on their little hearts.

This apprehension about going back to school, can be even worse for kids that have never been to school, like those entering preschool or kindergarten. Separation from home and their parents can be devastating to them.

If your kindergarten bound child is feeling this apprehension, and even if they are not, there are many great stories to aid in this transitional time.

One such book is The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. Chester Raccoon is feeling apprehensive about going to kindergarten for the first time. But, his mom knows just what will make him feel better. The (somewhat magical) kissing hand. The special bond that is created between this mother and son, eases Chester's transition, and unexpectedly ends with Chester's mother getting a kissing hand of her own.

Until the end of August, Barnes and Noble is offering a FREE online storytime featuring The Kissing Hand. The author, Audrey Penn reads the story while the child watches the illustrations on screen. To access this FREE online storytime, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what did ya think?